Saturday, 23 April 2011
Racing for a Refugio
Today I arrived in Najera. Gratefully the rain has held off in the day and fallen through the night which deepened the green of the wheat fields and the yellow of the path taking us through them. Vineyards spread out for miles on either side and red poppies start to punctuate the yellow gorse. Sadly this scenery is behind me and passing through some modern cities and industrial areas, I really missed all that had gone before. After two of my longest days of walking (27 kms and then today 30 kms) I am now 595 kms from Santiago. The day starts quite early because it is essential to get going as there is a bit of a race to the refugio to get a bed. Later in the day it becomes much harder as I found out yesterday in Logrono and this is where trust comes in. Logrono has very elaborate Easter celebrations and the whole town was jumping last night which seems a bit weird since it was Good Friday but there was a procession through the streets with men carrying crosses and Jesus on the cross, it was quite amazing but there was no room at the inn and Carmel from Australia called everywhere in town and the report from each was "completo". It would be easy to panic but we found ourselves at a hostel run by the church where overflow mattresses were spread over every available surface. I think the priest took pity on two old broads and showed us a room that I think was his with two single beds. Brilliant. There is a huge difference in the feeling and energy of the refugios that are run by volunteers or the church and those that are run for profit. The spirit of the Camino is so much more evident in the former. Little bits of grace come every day if I pay attention. The little man at the market in Estella who charged me 1 euro for 2 oranges and 2 bananas and then handed me my change on a free tangerine and the people who appear just when I need them. This is the Camino.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a wonderful lesson in seeing, faithing, trusting and flowing.....this is brilliant. This is the life changing Camino journey that we can feel in you. Thank you for this Chris. I feel as if I'm there with you.
ReplyDeleteLove, B. xo
You are doing fantastically Chrissie, have all the family here with me for Easter, and we're thinking of you. Keep meaning to ask you if you're using trekking poles? They certainly help me and take a lot of stress off hips and knees. So proud of you , and we all wish you a happy and blister free Easter.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely bunch of bananas! Christine, everyday is a new METAPHOR--that is what I hear in your writing! I am so humbled, so proud of you, so think you are a major midlife maven and so glad you are doing this for self, for us and for the planet (that's how I see it)....love you extraordinarily..... Morgana
ReplyDeleteOK, so I shed a tear for the beauty of it. (any excuse huh?) thanks Chris. Happy Easter! xo
ReplyDeleteChris - am posting this message for June( she is having problems getting on)She is following your journey, and says"Very proud of what you're doing, can't decide whether you're very brave or raving mad. God bless, happy Easter.
ReplyDeleteYes, I found that the parochial refugio felt more like a home away from home. I got lost in Logrono but kept meeting people saying this way to Santiago (only in Spanis). I then walked through a beautiful park by a lake and lots of people picnicing. Buen Camino my friend and you're doing just great. I've hooked up with about 6 Camino hopefuls and we're going through the ropes for their adventure.
ReplyDeleteCheers and blessings and Happy Easter. This is the Celebration Day.
John
Hi Chrissie, Just managed to sort myself out to get on your blog....never been on/in one before! Lovely to catch up with "the pilgrims progress"...you are doing terrifically, well into the route now. Logrono next? Beautiful bridges over the Ebno and apparently a wonderful Cathedral (pictures please).I presume that the fact that you are now in the Rioja region is mere circumstance thrust upon the weary traveller but hopefully a perk nevertheless at the end of the day.
ReplyDeleteI trust you have enjoyed a peaceful and holy Easter and look forwrd to reading more of your beautifully descriptive narrative....now there's a "novel" career when you return .With luv from Yer Bruv etc in Pinner
Way to go Chris -- Everyone supports you here -- we are all walking with you -- praying for you! You will have so much to share with us--I am so proud of you! Love you! Happy Easter. Irene.
ReplyDelete