Today I walked about 20 kms after having a quiet day yesterday at the Refugio at Cizur Menor just outside Pamplona. My shoulders ached and I worried that the muscle pain would get worse and dreaded picking up my heavy pack once more. I had stayed overnight at the Refugio in Pamplona even though I had considered staying at the Hotel de la Playa where Hemingway stayed and where his room, #217 is still available with original furnishings, for a modest 520 euros a night! I saw the Plaza de los Toros and followed the path of the running of the bulls (and no Lynn, I was not wearing red).
The walk today took me through rolling hills with views reminiscent of Tuscany. Spring follows me along the route and wisteria dripped from the balcony of the refugio and lilacs bloom in the gardens of the little villages we pass through. Apple blossoms, wild thyme and yellow gorse dot the path and fields of yellow wildflowers contrast with the brilliant green that the province of Navarre boasts at this time of year.
I took off my still heavy backpack and sat down for a rest. The fields on either side of the route stretched beyond where the eye could see, so I looked to see what was planted there. Peas.... peas, finally I had found peas on the Camino. Maybe I need to make my prayers clearer but I do think God has a great sense of humour.
Dearest Chris,
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad to hear you've found the peas you were looking for on the path. Well, you may not be feeling quite peaceful as yet but the beauty surrounding you must be wonderfully uplifting.
Whenever you speak of your large backpack I wonder...are there things you wish to let go of along the trail to make your travels lighter?
Enjoy the peas and quiet.
Love your notes. So enjoying your adventure with you.
Blessings and Love, Bethany xo
sounds idyllic...and we can all benefit from a little peas. Glad you're finding some and so happy you're sharing it!
ReplyDeletehugs!
Oh mumsie you are so funny. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeletePeas be with you, my child.
ReplyDeletelove Bonnie xx
( apparently my google name is "Doug"...don't know how that happened! :)
Missing you, love hearing about your adventure! You are amazing.
ReplyDeleteChrissie your writing reminds me so much of Dad's Canadian journal. I think you have a real gift my dear sister. You know you're not walking alone on this journey - we're all with you - except for the aching back , sore hamstrings , and throbbing blisters ! In your honour tonight, we will play Peas in the valley ( Johnny Cash )
ReplyDeleteGod speed x
Christine! I heard Shirley McLaine talking about her SOLO journey on the Camino and how moving it was. She said she wished she had not limited herself to a month because she found "her own timing and rhythm" as she went. Anyway, that's a bit of USA paparazzi buzz for you.
ReplyDelete'good thoughts coming to you each morning when I walk! Morgana
Hi Chris, this is Bonnie (via Doug) writing to tell you how much Ron is enjoying hearing your blogs every day. He said, and I quote "Chris has an noticable gift for eleagant descriptive writing. Her words take you there. She should pursue it!"
ReplyDeleteI love to go a wandering
ReplyDeleteAlong the lonesome track
And as I go I love to bring
My napsack on my back
Chrisy, Chrisa,Chrisy, Chris ha ha ha ha ha ha
translation: I so admire you missy xo