Friday, 15 April 2011

Over the Pyrenees

I am waiting here in Roncevalles for my pilgrim meal.  I am absolutely starving, I suppose walking over the Pyrenees will do that to a person.  The first ascent to the refugio/gite called Orisson was especially steep and then today we climbed the rest of it and now have come down the other side.  1400 ft.  It is an amazing sight to see: a steady stream of pilgrims behind and in front, snaking up and down the trail.  All ages and nationalities.  The one little walker who passed me a couple of times today is from Kent, England and she is 77.  Needless to say I made no complaints to her.  The advice I was given by those who had done this walk before was: just show up, no whining and stay open, good life advice anyway.  Metaphors abound here.  I am, for instance, carrying much too much baggage and the ache in my back is a great reminder of this.  Coming from Lourdes where I spent two days, it is a huge reminder to be grateful for the good health to do this. What a sight to see that is.  I never expected it to be so moving with lines of sick people being pulled along in the big blue wheelchairs and the mass for the sick so well organised.  I think the miracle of Lourdes is all the young people who volunteer to help there and the love and care they give to those they serve, such kindness.  The grounds and the Grotto are beautiful though with all the souvenir shops it feels just like Niagara Falls.  I actually went into the baths too, quite an experience.
Oh, I forgot, I´m in Spain, maybe someone could whip me up a little sangria.
Hasta la vista

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post Chris. You write well with depth in every description helping me to see what you're seeing. Another world it seems.
    Show up, no whining, stay open, don't carry too much baggage...got the message! Thank you for this. Blessings on your great Tao. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today you should be in Zubiri, hope it's been a flatter walk for you. It's great being able to follow your progress on the map-am walking every step with you.I just know your baggage will get lighter as the days go by.
    Buen viaje xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany said it all Chris as did Beth--the metaphors I LOVE and smile that you are so "awake" to them. I too tread each step with you silently as "watcher" intruding not at all and grateful for your sharing. Hugs to you today! Morgana

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll be in Puente La Reina today,then on to Santa Domingo de La Calzada. Its motto: Donde canto La gallina despues de asada.( where the roast chicken still sang ) after an incident when a pilgrim was wrongly accused of theft. He was saved from the gallows when a chicken about to be eaten by the mayor sat up on his plate and cackled! Ever since 2 live chickens are kept in the cathedral. You can buy a good luck feather in the cathedral shop, to help you on your way. Go pilgrim. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do of course know that you have another 4 stops before you get to Santa Domingo , but thought the chicken story was interesting , and I couldn't find any info on your next few stops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darling Sister Just lost a message -- long one! Getting frustrated - loving you -- missing you! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got it ! To continue--Look forward to hearing all about your journey -- you have such a way with words-- I see a book in your future! You really touched my heart when you shared the rainy day--you walking all alone --singing to yourself-- I shed a few tears! I keep you in my heart each and every day and will continue to do so! You are an amazing woman-- keep on keeping on!!!!

    ReplyDelete