I am now at Castrojeriz and this makes me 460 kms from Santiago. I am almost halfway there. The last three days have been brilliant sunshine and perfect days for walking. The landscape changes daily and I go from wooded areas and then by rocky paths through wide open spaces and yesterday entered the Meseta, a flatter, unshaded landscape with little piles of stone and low stone walls. Left behind are the glorious mauve gorse bushes of three days ago, the vineyards and the wheatfields. Still I pass through the villages dominated by their huge stone churches and with the smell of woodsmoke wafting through the air. I find it sad that so many of these magnificent churches are closed up and it's rare to see inside their marvellous interiors. Today and yesterday were spent in Albergues in these places where cobbled streets pass by stone houses adorned with scallop shells but few people do I see. The ferocious dogs I have read about have not yet materialised and so far they are a sleepy, rather unkempt lot that lolled in the streets as I pass.
I have fared quite well so far and even my pack seems to be less of a distraction. I tend less to think of myself as the "World's Worst Pilgrim" and compare myself less to the others I see on the road. I have come to see that as I bring the best of myself to the day, the day unfolds much better. To be mindful and to be present bring forth a better outcome.
Physically I have had a bit of sunburn, a couple of coldsores and a couple of blisters, there are no complaints here, I pay attention and then let them go. It is funny to see how we rock and limp and yet keep going. This world of contrasts which is so very different than the conventions we usually adhere to, it is nothing to see a pilgrim rubbing his sore bare feet at an outdoor cafe or clipping his toenails on the stone steps of a church where storks nest in the towers. Middle-aged pilgrims sit in their underwear on bunkbeds in the Refugios. This is normal life on the Camino.
Walked 10 miles today and feel shattered! Have so much respect for your endeavour. It sounds genuinely life and mind-changing. I am away for a few days and may not be able to follow you every day but will be with you in spirit. God Bless.
ReplyDeleteI am full of admiration for what you are doing enjoying your account of your journey and the places you have visited. I am shattered after my daily walk with the dog! Remember we are all with in spirit
ReplyDeleteGod Bless and take care
Chris, you're bringing this to life for us. What lovely descriptions, I can just see it. I love the idea of the stone churches with wood smoke particularly. I hope there will be a few you can explore. Thinking of you "Present and Loving Pilgrim" (re-framing your world's worst thought for you). With admiration and thankfulness for your blog, Bethany xo
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed Castrojeriz and met a heard of sheep on the road into the village. The climb to the castle and view were spectacular. Never sat in my underwear course not middle aged yet. Ha.
ReplyDeleteCheers and Ultreya Peregrino. Fromista is coming up. John
Walking with you today--seem to bring you to mind each day when I awake and say to myself: "I wish you well today, Christine!"
ReplyDeleteKnowing you are in another world, this seems "other worldly", but want you to know the monarchy is alive and well in the "isles" and Kate and William are a new breath of fresh air for a world weary time. You lot really know how to party when the "royals" are involved! Love U! Morgana
Hi Chris....have been having troubles getting a message sent...this is a blank to see if its working now . Yer Bruv x
ReplyDeleteHooray...could not face typing it again and losing it all, just confirmed with Beth that it is not my fault but the blogs!
ReplyDeleteAnyway wow, you are really powering ahead cant believe how far you have travelled . Lovely to read/hear/smell your diary it is so descriptive.
funny that I had hardly heard of the Camino until you mentioned it but now seems to be everywhere !! Just the other day I picked up the Times supplement in a waiting room and there was an article about Martin Sheens new film directed by Emilio called The Way,....... about the Camino ! Apparently Emilios son ,Taylor , went on the Camino ,met a young lady ,married her and now lives in Spain....watch out Jack ! Keep it up God Bless . Yer Bruv etc in Pinner xx
Darling Sister--Your adventures get more and more interesting--you really make me laugh! Sleeping with strange men--that's a bit too much! You never cease to amaze us all! You are either in Leon today or just leaving- It is overwhelming for me to imagine walking as far as you have -- just walking to Richmond Village my knees creak! Jack called and relayed the Tennis Club story -- small world!!! You are more than half way to your little part of the world--good for you--think of you every single day when I awake -- today as alway's I carry you in my heart! Love you --your sis. xx
ReplyDelete