Saturday, 16 April 2011

Ultreia

Steinbeck wrote that we don't take a journey, a journey takes us.  The Camino is taking me.  Today I passed through little villages nestling at the base of the Pyrenees where smoke snaked from chimneys and bells from stone churches tolled to remind me to stay present. A shepherd herded his sheep across the road just after I crossed it, time stand still here. Then I thought to myself, "maybe this Christian pilgrimage will make a Buddhist out of me?"  Mindfulness and staying present are a good place to start and essential on this trip. 

I made it to Zubiri today and tomorrow hope to get to Pamplona.  I have but one prayer to say, "Please God, can I have a bottom bunk next time?"

8 comments:

  1. Had either Buddha or Christ chosen a secluded, stationary life there would be no footsteps to follow.. (Nicholas Shrady) "one step at a time" (AA!)
    Pamplona for Palm Sunday!
    hugs
    maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Pilgrim,
    I can hear the Camino starting to take you deeper. Into the depths....
    Love and Blessings, Bethany xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Christine, You're probably in Pamplona or Cizur Menor tonight. Be sure to pass by Eunate tomorrow on your way to Puente La Reina. Just think, after you reach the sculpture at the top of Alto del Perdon, it will be downhill and flat the rest of the day. Keep enjoying. Dayton

    ReplyDelete
  4. If my middle age is anything like your middle age, Christine then "peeing in the night" is a ritual. So, I join your prayer for a BOTTOM bunk!!!

    Love U! Morgana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chrissy, your blog is so lovely. I can picture the places you're writing about so well because of your excellent words.
    You know Margaret and I support you all the way so, we've decided to call ourselves "The Support Ho's"
    love Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Christine
    I sent a comment a couple of days ago but I don't see it. Probably screwed it up somehow. Anyway, enjoying your blog and I do remember Zubiri. I looked at my journal and it was muddy that day and damp, however our spirits were up. Walking with you. Dayton, Karen, my wife (Linda) and I had a bit of wine last night just to toast you. Ha. What an excuse, eh.
    Cheers.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Christine
    Incase you didn't figure out who Juan is, It is I--John Langford.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Darling Sister-- What an amazing adventure you are having! I am enjoying so much the wonderful way you put into words all you are experiencing. I am really missing you and our regular chat's--can't wait to hear more! Your sweet daughter has been here helping your computer illiterate sister-- how am I doing? Easter will be celebrated at 527 this year--everyone is coming!!! Still it won't be the same without YOU.Loving you sister dear--May the Lord bless and keep you as you journey. Irene.

    ReplyDelete